Sunday, January 31, 2010

#29: Plant a Tree on/for my Birthday

Completed: 01/30/2010

My first goal accomplished! WOOHOO! Let me tell you how this came to be!

As part of one of my goals, I signed up for a volunteer event (in March) with the Memorial Park Conservancy for a Park Fun Run. This is part of goal # 16 (make a difference in at least one person's life). The best way to make a difference in someone's life is to be there for them, for a particular event, a moment in time that means the world to them. How better to do that than to volunteer for special events?! Also, Im a sucker for volunteering for marathons, 5k's, MS150, etc. It is inspiring in ways you cant even describe, LUV IT!!!

Once  I volunteered for the Fun Run, I received an email confirming the date time and my position. The email also contained a flyer from the MP Conservancy about future events. Wouldnt you know it?? they had a tree planting event the following week! I was thrilled and thankful that opportunities where presenting themselves that would allow me to fulfill my goals. I immediately sent out my request to volunteer and shortly after I received my instructions.

The day of the event I got up early and super happy! I wanted to be there early and ready to plant my tree but then, the funniest thing happen! I could not find the place!! Oddly enough, I saw some people planting trees accross the highway, but I thought "that cant be them??" So after much circling around I decided to join those folks. Once I got there I asked "is this the even for the MP Conservancy"? The nice lady replied, "no", this is for "Trees for Houston". I knew it wasnt my event, but I thought, well I might as well stay and plant a tree. It wasnt long after I had that thought that the same nice lady said "we are done planting trees" but thanks for coming by. Suddenly, the feeling of failure took over...but not for long. I walked back to my car and decided to try again. This time, I found the volunteer event...yuppy!!! Even though I had passed through the same spot an hour before and nobody was there, but it was because I was too early!

So now Im there and immediately walked over to sign up to plant my tree. Then came the next challenge, no shovels! URGH! So I waited and waited, nothing. Everybody had a shovel except for me, yet I stood stilld and held on to my tree for dear life. Finally they sent me to do something else in the meantime, but I knew if I was patient I would eventually plant my tree. And so it was, I found a shovel laying on a corner, ran to it, grabbed it and said "here comes goal #29!!!"

All that to say, I planted not only 1 but 2 trees. Meet some nice people along the way and helped even if in a very small way the environment.  I named my trees "Hope" & "Faith", and I will come back to see how they are growing through the year as I come back every week to Memorial Park to train for my 5K run in October. No doubt they (Hope & Faith) will outlast me, that is at least my hope.

Not only did I not give up but I learned a little more about patience and how it can take you far in all you want to accomplish.

Check out the pics! "This is my tree HOPE!" Located @ "Balls Field" in Memorial Park

3 comments:

  1. Hello Karlita...another accomplishment. I read the project story and I like the part of the shovel. I have a visual on that part I felt like I was there with you watching you through the emotions. I love the part where you found the shovel. I know the sky was wide open for you...Wheww. You see? Everything has a solution you just cannot give up. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Karlita:

    Muy buen comienzo... la verdad me estan dando muchas ganas de comenzar mi propio project 35 a ver si le doy más rumbo a esta vida, jejeje.

    Lo que pasa es que muchas veces uno no se da cuenta de lo lejos que ha llegado si no mira hacia atrás.

    Keep up the good work!

    Un Abrazo.

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep it up!! i'm still there on thursdays whenever you feel up to skating!!!

    ReplyDelete